The dishes are not coming clean
A couple of things to check out first.
- Is the machine overloaded?
- Is there something blocking the spray arms?
- Was there a lot of food residue on the plates?
Once these items have been checked and resolved it’s time to dig deeper. Here are a few tips:
- Check for food debris or grease build up in the strain screen and door gasket and clean thoroughly.
- Check the spray arms to make sure they are spinning easily. If they are covered in dirt or grease, the water outlets could be blocked so give the arm a good wipe and clean. You may need to remove the arms and clean them with a toothbrush or perhaps a pipe cleaner to really get into the little water holes. Once that is, done replace them and try the washer again.
- If your glasses and flatware are covered in water spots, it is the result of water staying on them too long. Add in a rinse aid product and see if that helps. If the dishes, glasses and silverware have a white residue, you probably have hard water. Try using a water softener or a specialty detergent in the machine. Your dishwasher leaks onto the floor
The dreaded water on the floor problem
The first thing you must check is the gasket that goes around the dishwasher door. You are looking for a loose fit, cracks or tears in the gasket. There could also be large food debris stuck in the gasket preventing it from sealing properly. Try giving the gasket a clean with a spray disinfectant that will help you locate any damage to the rubber seal. If there is damage, you will have to replace the gasket.
In the dishwasher is something called a ‘float switch’ this is usually located to the front of the dishwasher and is a small round piece rather like a donut. Life the float up and down and if the switch won’t move, it may be stuck. To get the switch unstuck it may just need a clean there could be string, plastic or even food stuck that might be preventing it from moving freely up and down. If it is stuck that is why the dishwasher is overflowing as it regulate the level of the water entering the machine.
Dishes come out wet
This can be caused by two things. The first thing to try is a rinse aid; this simple solution helps the water sluice off the dishes so the heater can dry them fully. If this doesn’t work, you need to check the heating element. You can do this by accessing the thermostat, which is usually located at the bottom of the dishwasher tub right behind the access panel. Don’t forget to turn the machine off at the mains before inspecting the thermometer. You can then use a multimeter to check the thermometer to see if it is working.
If the dishwasher is given off a pungent odour than food that is sitting in the bottom of the washer in the screen may be the problem. Remove the screen and give it a good clean you might be surprised at how disgusting the screen can get.
Another thing to check is that something hasn’t melted on the heating element. Occasionally a bit of plastic-ware may come into contact with the ring and melt causing an odour.
Try giving the machine a clean wash cycle with nothing in the machine but some white vinegar, this is an old trick used for cleaning lots of machines from coffee pots to teakettles. The vinegar neutralizes odours and helps clean all the moving parts.
My dishwasher won’t start
If the washer won’t start, check the plugs and fuses to make sure all is well. Check that the door is latching properly and closing most machines are set that if the door isn’t shut properly it won’t start.
If the dishwasher makes a grinding noise like it’s trying to work but it just won’t run the motor could be stuck. Turn off the power at the mains first and then try to spin the fan motor by hand to see if it moves. This is one repair that you may need an expert to fix.
There are five main things you can check out yourself if the dishwasher seems to have died on you. A dishwasher should last between 7 and 12 years but according to the experts around 1 in 5 will break down in three to four years. If you are lucky, the repairs will be covered by the warranty but some of those only offer limited coverage and it may be helpful to know how to fix it yourself.
It can be expensive to have the repair company out not to mention the parts themselves can be pretty expensive. It helps to have a little bit of knowledge about the basics of a dishwasher because you may be able to DIY the repairs and save yourself some money.
Here is a list of some of the most common complaints about the dishwasher and some tips on what to check out to fix them.