Thinking about the first causers of fire you don’t likely think about a dryer, it is usually stove or oven that first comes to your mind. Have you thought that your dryer and its vent are just as likely to cause a fire and in most cases this is preventable.
Fires of such type usually start due to issues with the dryer vent. But the number one thing you can do to prevent that is to clean your dryer vent and that is the thing that we can help you with.
Poorly done installations, improper venting and materials, and lint build-up all create health and safety hazards. Have your dryer venting checked for proper materials and installation. Once satisfied – be sure to check the vent for any build-up. Clean out your dryer vent a couple of times a year. Vents can get clogged with lint, dryer sheets, and with small items of clothing or other items that get into the dryer load. Vents can also get clogged with nests, droppings and other natural debris – depending on the location and covering on your dryer vent. It is important to clean out your lint screens after every dryer load. If your screen is old, torn, worn and ineffective you better replace it.
Also, be sure to check out these tips:
- Keep flammables away from your dryer.
- Avoid overstuffing your dryer.
- Turn your dryer off when leaving home.
- Keep your dryer away from the wall so there is no pressure on the rear exhaust duct and assuring that the airflow is not restricted.
- Check your wash load before putting it into the dryer – confirm it has been spun damp dry thoroughly.
- Remove any used dryer sheets after each dryer load.
- Clean and vacuum your dryer and the areas around your dryer.
- Thoroughly wash out your lint screen with mild soap and water a few times each year. If the water cannot flow through the screen – then neither can air. If this happens after cleaning, get a new screen.
Call a professional at least once a year to check and clean your dryer vent. Following these tips will reduce the risk of fire and you will also reduce your energy bills with a properly vented clothes dryer and you will also prolong the life of your dryer.
Need a hand with your dryer vent? Contact us now: